Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Can someone help me find a homestay or a rent (im 16) if possible - just give me stories or ideas....?

I am 16, female, in Calgary, live with my aunt and uncle - My parents are out of town. I'm looking to live on my own or with a homestay in Edmonton or SASKATOON. I will support my own income with a job. I dont know how I'll go to school cause I dont have the money - unless I get a waviors form......Can someone help me find a homestay or a rent (im 16) if possible - just give me stories or ideas....?
My niece was raised by her grandparents until she was 15 and the fighting between her and her grandmother became too stressful on them all. Then she came to us.





Like you, she felt that she was all grown up and ready to strike out on her own. We managed to keep her in school and out of trouble for 2 years despite the fact that she was hooked up with a high school drop out who couldn't hold a job. Finally, she told us that the minute she turned 18 she was leaving so my husband said that's just 3 months from now, if you want to go, then go.





She did and moved in with the loser and his pal. 3 months later she was pregnant. He still couldn't hold a job and shortly after the baby was born she finally dumped him. So there she was with a baby to support, no help from him, and too proud to accept my offer to come home.





She hooked up with another guy, got pregnant with twins and decided to have them because his mother said abortion was a crime and that she'd help with the kids. He convinced her to allow her first son to be adopted out but after the twins were born he started running around on her, his mother bailed on her and so now she had twins to support on a minimum wage job income.





He told her if she would give up custody of the twins to him he would allow her full access and never pursue her for child support because he had a good job and a good income. She did.








Now she's 25, has no access to any of her children and has to pay him $400 a month from the income of 2 minimum wage jobs she is holding down.





What I am trying to tell you is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, sometimes it isn't even grass. We all have to live the lives our choices make for us.





At 16 you haven't had enough life experience to have the knowledge base to make informed decisions.





I'm a woman too, and I remember what it was like to be 16. In retrospet, at 16 a girl is simply a mass of hormones surrounded by flesh.





Do yourself a favor. Negotiate an agreement with your aunt and uncle that will allow you to stay with them until you are at least 18 and can finish school. If you don't you are jeopardizing the rest of your life.





If you can't communicate with them involve another adult you trust, a teacher, a friend's parent, any adult who can act as a neutral intermediary.





You'll be in my prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment