Friday, August 20, 2010

I don't think I should be paying full rent for this house... what should I do?

I'm renting a house in Vancouver B.C. I have ALWAYS payed my rent on time.... never been an issue. Until... our power stopped working in our house. We payed our Landlord half of the rent simply because we have no power ANYWHERE, we pay for our cable and internet and have been unable to use it due to the no power. We also have over 200$ in food gone to complete waste, again because our fridge doesn't work. Also our stoves and even our water doesn't turn hot.... so my fiance and I have had to go to our local community centre to use the showers there.... this is absolutely humiliating!!! We pay 1000$ a month for rent in a house and can't even live in it. Our Landlord is demanding we pay the full rent... but this is absurd!!! We have had 3 weeks and no power... how is this considered habitable? The Landlord does not own the house, he simply re-rents it. The owner of the house refuses to fix the hydro saying it is the Landlords job, but this is an internal problem with the electrical and needs to be looked at by the owner... simple as that!


Our Landlord is saying he wants the other 500$ rent even though we can't live in our own house.... we think the first $500 was GENEROUS... we should have had to pay NOTHING! Our food and many other things have been ruined due to this, and not only is he JUST asking for the other $500 but he is also asking us to ';pitch an extra $500 for help....


here is the direct quote from an email I got from him





';just letting you know i hope you get...


the deposit in my acct today, it IS quite urgent for me at this time





and if any way possible , an extra 500 , that you mentioned in previous conversation,


would be a godsend for me at this time';


Don't get me wrong, I know he is going through a hard time.... but this is NOT my responsibility.... I refuse to pay the other $500 until my house is livable! I even pulled up the residential tenancy act and is states clearly in black and white:





Landlord and tenant obligations to repair and maintain


32 (1) A landlord must provide and maintain residential property in a state of decoration and repair that





(a) complies with the health, safety and housing standards required by law, and





(b) having regard to the age, character and location of the rental unit, makes it suitable for occupation by a tenant.





(2) A tenant must maintain reasonable health, cleanliness and sanitary standards throughout the rental unit and the other residential property to which the tenant has access.





(3) A tenant of a rental unit must repair damage to the rental unit or common areas that is caused by the actions or neglect of the tenant or a person permitted on the residential property by the tenant.





(4) A tenant is not required to make repairs for reasonable wear and tear.





(5) A landlord's obligations under subsection (1) (a) apply whether or not a tenant knew of a breach by the landlord of that subsection at the time of entering into the tenancy agreement.





He also said he does NOT want to take legal action, but if he is expecting me to pay a penny legal action should be taken..... Someone told me that I am in the wrong by with holding the rent.... but the damage was done BEFORE I with held ANY rent money.... Am I really in the wrong? I think he is in the wrong, and I should NOT have to move, I quite enjoy my home.... I just want it fixed!!!


Please help ANY advice?!


I don't think I should be paying full rent for this house... what should I do?
You are certainly NOT wrong. Pack up and get the blankety blank out of there. If you are locked in a lease show your Landlord the legalities and hire a lawyer if need be.I don't think I should be paying full rent for this house... what should I do?
get a lawyer, call the health department on the landlord, pack up and move out.
It is not legal to withhold rent, for maintence issues.





What im wondering, is why you haven't called the elec company or an electriician yourself already ?





You said it has been three weeks.





What if it is just a blown fuse ?





How do you even know, if the problem is in the house ?





What if the problem in in the elec line running to the house ?
Do you have some sort of public legal aid? Call them,they should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.





You could fix the problem yourself (by calling an electrician or whom ever is necessary to fix the problem)...then deduct that amount from your rent. I would definitely still speak to an attorney but this was you'll at least have electricity.





I'd also send the owner and the landlord a certified letter of your intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment