Friday, August 20, 2010

My home Im renting is over run with fire ants. They are even in the walls! How can i get rid of them? Help!?

Are there any cheap ways to rid myself of this problem? I dont want to use a ton of chemicals outside as the person i rent from has dogs. Thanks for any replys and have a good day.My home Im renting is over run with fire ants. They are even in the walls! How can i get rid of them? Help!?
Are you sure that they are fire ants? I live in Texas, fire ant capitol of the world...lol...and I haven't heard of ones getting in the wall, unless their mounds are under your house. Anyone from Texas knows that fire ants are one of the hardest to kills pests that can be in your area. Perhaps your landlord should be let in on your problem. A bag of over-and-out, is the best pesticide on the market, and it should be fine with the dogs. However, an old wifes tale of cinnimon is widely used here to keep all ants out of the house. Make a trail of cinn around the base of your home outside. Then a fine line inside all your cabinets. Ants won't cross cinnimon. I have tried this and they really wont cross the cinn. line. Plant some marigolds outside, they are a natural pest control, but I am not sure if they work for ants, but I know they keep alot of pests away.My home Im renting is over run with fire ants. They are even in the walls! How can i get rid of them? Help!?
I just heard this--- Take regular cornmeal, and sprinkle around. The ants eat it but they can't digest it, so they die. They supposedly take it back to their mound, (nest, whatever..) and share it and they al l die.

Report Abuse



I don't know what your tenancy agreement says but it could very well be the responsibility of the landlord to get rid of them for you, particularly if you have already taken reasonable precautions. Have a look for yourself to check.





Roz.
I don't know how the laws are in your state but, since you are currently renting than notify those you rent from. They should have the responsibility to exterminate them. If after repeated attempts and no solution or effort on their part to get rid of them it could lead to you being able to get out of the lease.
We've just built a Florida home, and we've been battling fire ants, too. We also have dogs. So...I go out early morning with granules and a garden hose. I sprinkle just where the hills are and water it in. This method has really cut down the ants and the dogs are doing just fine. A fellow from Bayer Co. talked to us about their products, and we have found those are effective when some cheaper products were a waste of time and money. In the evening, I often do a second circle of the property looking for busy ants. Then I follow them back to their source and sprinkle and water again. I did this April and May, and by June we had remarkably few new mounds starting. Of course, those ants that come in from other properties will have to be eliminated. While this is a situation that can be improved a lot, I have a feeling I'll be 'on guard' against invasions as long as we live in Florida!

No comments:

Post a Comment