Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Weird roommate situation?

So my friend calls me 9 months ago crying that she will soon be kicked out of her parents home. I know her well and know shes generally responsible. Great. I sign her onto a lease and shes going to sneak over into living with me. Okay... Except she never ends up moving in. She just comes to sleep with her boyfriend on the weekends and pays a third of the rent. No biggie. Until: she starts picking on my boyfriend who has psychiatric problems until he goes to the hospital for a week. Annoying, wanted to kick her out there but didn't know how and wasn't too terribly concerned. He does have his issues and he goes to the hospital occasionally anyways. Big issue she hasnt paid rent in about 3 months. I know for a fact she didn't pay me for february or march and so far nothing for april. but she only shows up on the weekends. Also I have been talking to a friend I helped welcome into town and know much better then this girl about moving in and he is prepared to split all expenses 1/3 with me.





How do I get rid of the 1st girl?


I live in oklahoma, what are some legal options?


Can I just change the lock?


Can she be in trouble for harrassing someone with a mental illness?


Since she does not actually live in the home do I have to give her notice to kick her out?








she moved all her stuff out. but continues to show up. unannounced. shes technically on the lease because i originally thought she would move in. its like all the annoying parts of a roommate without the benefits. She has not paid for at least 3 months and i do not remember if she paid for january.





I hope everyone can help. I would appreciete if those who submit an answer actually answer my questions, or give me something else to consider. I do not desire name calling about being an idiot or anything else profain or unnecissary. I am here as a pivot point for what to do next the resolve this matter, not to be insulted.Weird roommate situation?
She quit paying rent. She already voided her part of the agreement.





Tell her you are changing the locks, she and she is no longer living there.





If she wants to continue living there, she needs to pay you the back rent IMMEDIATELY. (She won't be able to do that). And when she says she can't do that - then tell her ';Well, I have changed the locks, I hope we can still be friends. I am getting another roommate that WILL pay rent.';Weird roommate situation?
She is really taking advantage of you. Since she has moved all her stuff out, go ahead


and have the locks changed. I don't think you have to give her formal notice that you


are kicking her out but you should let her know she won't be welcome anymore. She'll


just have to find another weekend nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment