Friday, August 20, 2010

Professional Movers OR Rent a Truck?

I will be moving from Minnesota to Indiana and need advice on how to get from points A to B. I will also be moving into a downtown high rise apartment, so would I need to hire someone to help with furniture anyway? I have never used a professional mover, good/bad? Or would my money be better spend renting a U-Haul type truck?





Any advice or other suggestions would be helpfulProfessional Movers OR Rent a Truck?
You do have another option and that is check out PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) they have a wbsite of PODS.com I think, I do NOT work for them and do NOT make any money from this but they did haul my funiture for my last 2 moves. You set up an time and they bring a container and set it on the ground at your location, you load it ( or hire packers to pack your furniture) and then they haul it to your next city and wait for you to cal and have it delievered to your new house. Again you can unload yourself or hire people to unload and setup for things.


Cheaper then a moving company and better then hiring a rental truck, doing all your loading and unloading out of the back of a truck.


For packers, try Craig's List or the local free newspaper. Some moving compaines also will refer packers who can bring all the boxs and packing material you need.Professional Movers OR Rent a Truck?
Well moving is all about details, so lets check a few things before you decide what is better for you.


to begin with there are a lot of moving companies out there that will give you a cost effective move (with out problems) but you need to check all of them.


We need to add the fact that any high rise building has a management company that will ask you for a certificate of insurance to make sure any damages to the building will be covered so check with your insurance broker if you can issue one for them.


as a practical advise research movers by going to the check your company page on movingcollege.org and make sure reputation is established before you choose one, go to movers.com to choose one for your move.


Unless you have a budget issue i would recommend choosing a professional moving service (choose with caution) for the simple reason doing it by your self will a bit cheaper but with a lot of aggravation.





Have a safe move,


Nick.
The PODS suggestion above is a good one, but I have one more option for you to consider...





Our family has moved a lot with our jobs, and the best (worry free and economical) of my moves were using professional packers/movers on both ends to load and unload the truck that we rented and drove ourselves. Most of the truck rental companies have referrals to packing services on their websites. However, get and check lots of references for any mover you hire as that is an industry notorious for really bad service (good is good... bad can be really terrible).





I highly recommend using movers if you can afford them, but in my experience the cost to have them actually drive the truck any distance is ridiculously high.
If you have a lot of valuable furniture, or heavy items, I'd look into using movers. Otherwise...rent a truck. When you're renting the truck, factor in the 'drop off' charge (what you're going to get charged for leaving the truck in Indiana when you rented it in Minnesota); this can be quite high.





I've always hired movers- I used United Van Lines on a CA to Ontario, Canada move...worth every dollar.
I moved myself between three apartments and every time, even with 3-4 guys helping me, it was an all-day affair.





When I bought a house, I hired movers and I will NEVER move myself again. It took two of them two hours to do with 4 or 5 of us needed all day to do. I only lost 3 drinking glasses out of all of my fragile stuff, and that鈥檚 because I didn鈥檛 pack them so well. It is SO worth the extra cost to have professionals, especially when stairs are involved!!
your moving into a high rise downtown in a large city---get a professional mover---you wil be glad you did
professionals unless you have some help to move
  • medium hair styles
  • kids hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment