Friday, August 20, 2010

Upstairs neighbors stomping on purpose! Help!?

My upstairs neighbors are driving me nuts. I have been living in this hellhole for the last 2 years. I am working on moving out, but financially it is not possible now. I work a overnight shift, so I sleep in the day. These suckers upstairs are day laborers and barely work and never leave the apartment. If they do leave it is a constant running up and down the steps and back again. Currently as I am typing, they are stomping. If I had a car, I would sleep in it just to get away from these fools.They blast music, stomp, walk in steel boots, drop heavy stuff on the floor and liter my porch with cigarette butts and beer cans. Constantly yell and scream in foreign languages. They bring there friends over from down the street and party every damn night. I complained to the landlord and manager several times, but it does no good. They only care about rent checks. Now the noise has gotten worse. A few minutes ago, someone up there was doing jumping jacks over my bedroom. I hate these people and they are ruining my peace. I am tired of hitting the ceiling with my broom. My apartment is small and they occupy the whole top floor. I go into the kitchen, they slam cabinets, I go into the bathroom and as soon as I run the water or flush the toilet, I hear them run in and start thumping. I turn on my tv and they will proceed to stomp over the spot. I am tired of this bs. I have no money to move, landlord refuses to do anything and the manager kisses their ***. It is a 4 bedroom upstairs and they pay $1300 per month. I only have a studio apartment and pay much less obviously. I was told they were moving out to get a house, but changed their mind. If they like to make noise, why the hell would you live in a apartment? How convenient. They can stomp over my head every day and there is nothing I can do. How can people be so rude. Please don't say call the cops because they don't care either.Upstairs neighbors stomping on purpose! Help!?
Oh Boy! You have no idea how much your question hit home with the situation that I USED to be in with my upstairs neighbor. I too slid a note underneath his door. I tried speaking to him face-to-face. It wasn't until I sent a certified letter to the Landlord and cc:d the a**hole on it that he realized how serious I was. Finally, the Landlord contacted him immediately about his excessive noise and thank God it stopped. If your Landlord refuses to help you, you can take matters into your own hands and take these people to court OR you can live with the noise.Upstairs neighbors stomping on purpose! Help!?
Your problem is one of etiquette, but not your own. Unfortunately, unless you want it to get worse, you shouldn't say anything further to them. The landlord should take care of the problem. If he won't, well then I would say you should call the police and let them explain to your neighbors and landlord about noise ordinances.
If you've talked to your landlord, more than once, and have not gotten favorable results, then it's time to talk to a lawyer. Doing so may make it better for someone who moves in after you move out.
Throw eggs at their windows. Hit the ceiling harder with a broom! Tell the landlord! Do EVERYTHING you can to make it hell for them too. If that doesnt work, then just get out of there.
kick some ***...tell ur landlord
If you can't call the cops,can't complain to your landlord and can't move out,you're screwed. You have to do one of the three. Honestly,


in your place I would continue calling the cops every time they have friends over and I would contact my representative on the City Council to ask for advice.





Move out as soon as possible and pray you never have neighbors like that again!
I had the same problem, when i confronted my neighbors about the stomping and excessively loud radio it only got worse!!!





My landlord said there was nothing they could do...I eventually just waited out the 3 months of my lease and moved out!





I never lived in a downstairs apartment again!!
Wow i can understand why you're so frustrated. They sound really impossible, insufferable people.





If I was you, I would start getting my own back. They know that by winding you up, (something they seem to enjoy), they are causing you to react, and you're letting them know it's annoying you by hitting the ceiling with a broom, thus causing them to carry on annoying you further, because they like it.





Instead of reacting, give them a huge taste of their own medicine. Play your favourite CD's really loud at random hours of the day. Scoop up all the cigarette butts and beer cans and put them on their porch or near their door. Turn up your TV loud, sing, slam doors - whatever, just make sure you're making just as much noise as they are. However, it can be hard to be rude and inconsiderate if you're a nice person, which you sound like you are, but just remember how annoying they are to you.





Second option: Don't retaliate whatsoever. But, get a video camera or your phone recorder or whatever, and record evidence of them making excessive noise, and if possible, try and film them. Take pictures of the cigarette butts and beer cans, and anything else they've done. If you get evicted for an unfair reason concerning your neighbours, or you manage to find cops that actually care, it'll be really helpful, and evidence means it won't just be your word against theirs. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment