Friday, August 20, 2010

In your opinion, how much rent should I charge someone? Please read on...?

I'm about ready to move, hopefully to a 3 bedroom house. My sister has been living off of me for years %26amp; this has got to stop. She has nowhere else to go %26amp; no job right now. Everyone is telling me to throw her out. But I have a good heart %26amp; don't want to see my sister homeless. Some have suggested that I make her get a job %26amp; make her pay rent or else tell her she's got to go. It's not fair for me to pay everything. So lets say this is a summary of the bills. Rent--$600, cable %26amp; phone--$150, water--$55, Yard mowing--$80, groceries %26amp; househould items--@$400 (this is all per month). If she gets her own bedroom %26amp; enjoys all of these things, how much rent should I make her pay me? She's also brought up how she can only get minimum wage jobs, so if she does get a job %26amp; helps w/bills, that she shouldn't have to pay much cuz she wont make as much. What do you think? (when she does have money, she tends to like to buy drugs with it). All opinions are appreciated. ThanksIn your opinion, how much rent should I charge someone? Please read on...?
I think that I would start out by making your sister pay $200 a month rent. That may not sound like a lot, but to her it will feel like a lot especially if she has a minimum wage job. And she knows she would not be able to find anything cheaper so hopefully she will do what it takes to pay you that each month. Now in general, if you had a non-family member roommate, I would say make her pay half the rent and share the utilities as well. But in your sister's case, until she gets back on her feet and isn't stuggling too much, if you make her pay a larger amount, she probably would not even do it because she would say she was broke every month knowing she could never pay half of everything. That's just my opinion, so I hope that helped!In your opinion, how much rent should I charge someone? Please read on...?
Whoa - you lost me at ';she tends to buy drugs with it.';





Throw this woman out. Drug addicts bring lots of trouble into a home. You don't need that. Move. Don't give her the key. Heck, don't give her the address.





Girl, she's playing you. Look at what you wrote. She's playing you with emotional arguments that you seem to be buying into hook, line, and sinker. Bottom line: you've got a druggie whose habit your feeding by letting her live off of you while she goes and feeds her habit. I'm sorry you cannot see this. She's got you thinking you're a good soul who ';owes'; her a place to live, food, etc., because you are her sister. But you're thinking like a rational person. She's thinking like a drug addict. For her, it's all about manipulating you for what she wants.





Offer to get her into a treatment program that offers job training. Research. Find a goverment program. Help her get into it. But do not allow this woman to invade your home and take advantage of you any longer.
Well, buyinh drugs definitely won't help. She needs to take care of that first. There's nothing wrong with weed or shrooms, but if its something like crack, you have a problem. The main problem is, rents and everything are high. I would make her pay for food at least, because honestly its not costing you anything to let her live there. Other than what she eats, i wouldn't worry about rent, if you can't get any.
she should pay half of everything if its just you two and if she cannot afford it she needs 2 get a 2nd job or find other living accomodations you do not have 2 support her she is an adult
If you're willing to take part of the fall when (not if, when) she gets caught with her drugs, then keep her in the house and I'll answer from there. Since the rent is going to be paid no matter what, I wouldn't charge her for that. However, food, cable/phone, water, and mowing should all be split 50/50 unless she's the primary consumer of one of those amenities. If she uses the phone to make a ton of phone calls every month and raises your bill, then split it according to the percentage of each phone bill is her phone calls. It's difficult, but quite fair. But if it's mostly your phone calls, who cares split it 50/50. After all, she's in your house, not paying rent, and doing drugs. I would also suggest you guys not eat together, but instead you buy your own food and mark it and she has to buy and cook her own food. I understand helping a sister, my sister and I give all the time. But your sister is an adult and not behaving like one, and you are not her mother. Stop treating her as if you are. If you continue to give into her and buy her food and amenities and pay her bills, then she'll continue to not grow up.
Have her pay half if you two live alone of everything except for food. Food you can either split in half or purchase individually, which may alow her to cut costs in that area.








Edit: Whoops - I missed the bit about drugs.








She needs to quit that. There are free programs you can find in your area to help her quit.





You can give a person some corn, and have feed the person for a day, or you can teach the person how to farm and have established a means of obtaining future meals and an income. (My feminist, vegitarian, business student version)

No comments:

Post a Comment