Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How can I negotiate with my parents about rent money?

I am still living at home at the age of 32. I have OCD, which is one reason for this. But I am well enough now to procure a job.





But we are in DIRE FINANCIAL straits. Mom is not working, due to Carpal Tunnel. No unemployment, no income at all. My step dad is working, but he gets less than a grand per month. I am on SSDI due to the OCD.





I have had to pay our rent for the past three months. But I have a new relationship, and the money problems are causing major rifts in the relationship with my girlfriend! What can I do? I am looking for a new job.





My folks want to borrow most of my SSDI check to pay the rent- but I owe our mechanic 900 dollars to get my car back out. He has repaired it already. Among other things, I need hbp medicine, prozac, supplies, gasoline to use (when I use my parent's car), spending money, dating money, and so forth.





What can I say or argue constructively to my parents to help them see things from my painful point of view?How can I negotiate with my parents about rent money?
living with relatives isnt easy at all especially when they have troubles of their own because their troubles usually become yours and i understand where you are coming from when you talk about spending most of your money there you have helped them in a huge way and i know from experience that is your mom and its hard to not help her but if nothing is wrong with step dad i would suggest he get a better job and mom needs to try for disability herself because carperl tunnel syndrome is usually non cureable ......the only thing i could suggest is getting out on your own maybe hunt a friend who is willing to let you crash at their place for just a little while til you can pay a down payment of your own to you own apt.....good luckHow can I negotiate with my parents about rent money?
If your mum is not working due to an ilness,she should be intitled to some sort of benefit herself. Maybe she should go to the place which deals with benefits to see what she is entitled to. They can also help with the rent and council tax too.





Its not fair that you pay all your wages on the rent.


GOOD LUCK.
okay, you're living at home and you're THIRTY-TWO YEARS OLD.....that just sounds fishy to me. OCD or not, you can have a life on your own and not depend on your parents.





your parents need money from you to stay afloat. You get disability checks and your mom doesn't work or get any money. Step dad works, but doesn't pull-in very much.





I'm sure your parents didn't charge you rent or anything when you were young. Now, you've paid for three months. I say give them a date of when you will be out of the house and then go. Stand on your own two feet and they will have to figure out how to pay their own bills (and you will have to do the same thing). Let them know that they can count on you up until that date, but not afterwards.





**edit**


My ex had OCD, so i know it's trying, but you can't blame IT for not getting off your own butt and leaving your parents' house. You only have yourself to blame.





Take the drugs. Make sure you stay on that prozac (sounds like you need it) and get OUT of their place. Like I said before: give them a date and say ';Sorry, after May 1st (or whenever) I won't be able to help you with the rent anymore'; and that will be that. Quit boo-hooing about it. You're not a baby...you're a big boy. Get out there, find a good job, and get on your own.
You should have been paying rent all along. I started paying rent the day I graduated from High School. You are living there, you are eating there food, using their utilities. Using their car and car insurance. You want to use your money to party. You should have some money saved if not someone needs to teach all of you to manage your money better.


Sit down make a budget and stick too it. All of you together. You have a right to your money, but you need to be pulling your share.
boo your in a hole

No comments:

Post a Comment