Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How to deal with my room mate?

I have been living with my best friend only for 4 months now and there are starting to be some problems mainly for me.





She moved from out of province and hasn't found a permanent job yet, she is currently only temping which puts some financial strain on both of us.





I gave the bigger bed room with the huge en-suite bathroom (much bigger) to her for only $25 a month more rent. So concession number one. Her rent is only 600 and her half of utilities and cable is about $75. So with rent and extra she should have 675 each month. I have asked for to provide at least $100 for groceries. So her total bills are minimum $775 a month which she easily makes temping.





Problem is, she has only spent $100 on groceries ONCE in the 4 months she's been here, I've paid for the $200 grocery runs and provide the extra like milk, toilet paper etc. So advantage 2 to her.





she has a dog which I usually stuck making sure has food and water and will clean up after if there is a mess in the house. Last month, I got stuck with the full $1200 for rent as she had to pay $1000 to get her car back as it was impounded. She currently owes me over $1000 in just 4 months. She has borrowed this amount from me before and paid me back so I am not concerned as IF she will pay me back but WHEN.





She got super bitchy and upset at me today as I am currently dog sitting for my grandparents and the dog is quite old and had 2 accidents. I don't get off of work until 5 pm and she left work early so there was no way I could get home before her.





It was a total slap in the face as she went on about how irresponsible I was and that she only allowed the dog her on the condition I took care of it and it wasn't up to her to take care of both dogs. I totally am aware of that, she didn't have to clean up after the dog and I told her that. I was going to do it when I got home, I cant help I had to stay late at work.





Um, I have cleaned up after, helped trained, walked, fed, watered, dog sat over night and for over a week, paid for dog food over 3 times without reimbursement all for her dog.





My grandparents dog is not used to the condo so she had an accident but she is house trained. when I came home her boyfriend was over so I couldn't even address the whole issue and how upset it made me.





She is going about it as if nothing is wrong, she did nothing is wrong, this is mainly her place, not mine, (oh and only my name is on the year lease), and I had to stay in my smaller room for the night to stay out of her way with the dog so I don't ';embarrass her'; by yelling at her and calling her every name in the book. Oh I also don't want to totally ruin the friendship as she is usually a good friend but for some reason, it was all about her today....





I am ready to either kick her out as her name is not technically on the lease or move out myself.





Problem is, either way my friendship with her is over, not sure how my landlord would react to that, and I cant afford $1200 on my own for long.





Suggestions on what to do...stay and try to talk it out with her? Move out? Kick her out? End the friendship?





If I do talk it out, how should I even approach it?

No comments:

Post a Comment