Monday, August 16, 2010

How do I share my balcony with a bird who has made her nest there and can I make her help with the rent?

A bird has made its nest on the corner of my balcony. I don't use it for much except to go out and sit and read sometimes so it's not a huge sacrifice if I can't use it til the babies fly away. But how long should that be? I can't see if the eggs are hatched or not but judging by how protective the mother is (she flew back to the railing when I stepped outside once) I imagine she's already laid her eggs. Also, I don't want to scare her into abandoning the nest but I'm tempted into getting a step stool and snapping a couple of pictures. I'd be about seven or eight feet away if I did that. Any suggestions?How do I share my balcony with a bird who has made her nest there and can I make her help with the rent?
It will only be a few weeks till the babies are ready to fledge. It all happens pretty quickly. If she seems comfortable with you being there I don't see any reason why you can't take a picture, just try to watch and wait for her to fly off to get food before you do. Do it quickly and try not to disturb the nest or babies. Feel privileged to have her think your home was good enough for hers:)How do I share my balcony with a bird who has made her nest there and can I make her help with the rent?
dON'T BOTHER THE NEST. oN SHAREING RENT, THE BIRD WILL MAKE REGULAR DEPOSITS ON YOUR BALCONY, JUST DON'T STEP ON THEM.
A few weeks from eggs to gone, disturbing the nest a little will not be a problem as long as you don't do it all the time. Once babys start showing feathers though stay away, they will jump out of the nest to their deaths if you go too close too late in their maturation.
do your thing... don't let the bird stop you. They won't be terribly bothered by you if your quiet and don't kill it.





If the parent bird is away, you can get up as close as you want to see the nest... just don't touch the eggs or the nest itself. The smell of your hand will scare them parents off. (at least I was told that as a kid... and I still touched them.. and they never left). :)





Best thing.. go about your business and when the birds fly away in a couple of months, take the nest down so they won't come back next year.





you might even want to put some bird houses up where they won't be a bother to you... for the future mamas and papas.
  • Skin tag or something more serious
  • scene hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment