Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How to get a US driving license (Boston, MA)?

I am from India and I would like to get a US driving licence..is that even possible without being a permanent resident. You see I go there for vacation with my family like every 2 years or so and this time I am planning to rent a car. Please help me outHow to get a US driving license (Boston, MA)?
You need to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and ask for a temporary foreign driving lisence. I dont know what the cost is for one in that state (I reside in a different state), however they will give you a book to study and a breif test. Once you pass, you will get issued a driver's lisence for the duration of your stay.How to get a US driving license (Boston, MA)?
You can't get a US driver's license without a proof of address in the US. You will also be mailed your driver's license within 2 weeks. So no, you can't get one. You can get an international driver's license from India and then use that to rent a car in the US (IF the US doesn't honor your Indian driver's license).
You cannot get a US drivers license unless you are a legal, full time resident here. If you have an Indian drivers license, you don't need a US license. That license is good here and also good in the entire world.
Your current, valid India driver license will be honored in the U.S. Most U.S states do NOT recognize the (so called) International Driver Permit. They are NOT real driver licenses, just a document that translates the information on your home country license into 10 of the most commonly used world languages.
I am not sure if you need a US Driver's License while you're vacationing here. However, you can use your International Driving Permit (get one if you dont have already) along with your Indian DL. I too am from India and I have used my International Driving Permit in my initial days in the US. I have rented cars, owned a car (alo got into an accident, no falut of mine) on the same International driving permit and never been in trouble. Though the laws are different in different states, they're fairly similar. (I have driven on International DL in multiple states). You might want to confirm with the 1 800 DMV helpline of whatever state you'd be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment