Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What is a fair amount to pay for pet rent?

When I moved into the house I live in now, the owner said he was fine with cats and would probably charge a $300 deposit. There is nothing for or against pets in the lease. Recently I got a kitten and he just sent me an email today saying he wants $100 more a month in lieu of a deposit! That just seems exorbitant. That is a total of $1200 a year--there is very, very little chance the cat will do that much damage during the whole interim I live in the house, let alone in a single year. My question is, who else pays pet rent? How much do you pay? Did you also have a deposit? Also, what are my rights in this situation? He did not specify anything in the lease, so can he just raise my rent like that or...? Help!What is a fair amount to pay for pet rent?
That's a lot....I recently moved into an apartment where I would have to pay a $500 per pet deposit (of which $250 per pet is nonrefundable) and $10 per pet a month in pet rent.





You could look on www.lawhelp.org (which has good, free info regarding commonly asked ';know your rights'; type questions, and see if they have a site for your state, and if there's anything under ';landlord and tenant'; to answer your question. Otherwise, find a tenant's rights group in your state and see if they have any info.What is a fair amount to pay for pet rent?
I had pet rent for a 150 pound dog, and they only asked for $10 a month to cover the landscaping costs since the urine can 'burn' the lawn and the lawn maintenance people would treat thoe areas on a regular basis.





$100 a month for a cat is absolutely ridiculous. The $300 deposit seems fair and maybe a $10 a month surcharge-- but no way would i pay more.
Try nagotiating with the rent owner.
i don't pay pet rent but in my lease it says she will charge $50 monthly for pets.
The charge may seem exorbitant, however I am sure that somewhere in your rental terms it covers the owners right to charge more if you get more pets (if not you, truly need to discuss that with the landlord and ask for something in writing). I was a landlord at one time, and you would not believe the damage pets can do to a house when the owners are do not take proper care of their pets. I am sure you are the responsible type, but imagine the person who lets their pets do their business on the carpet and you have to replace that after they leave. Or a cat who marks on the walls and you have to fix the walls when they leave. Or a dog who chews up the drywall and woodwork in the house. I am sure your landlord is trying to cover his butt, and by charging you more he is making sure that any damages will be covered when you leave. It might not seem fair, but you need to discuss that with the landlord and perhaps if you prove you are a responsible pet owner, he will give you a break. However, don't expect to move somewhere else and not have the same thing happen. You need to remember you are just renting someones property and you don't own it. If you truly want to have the right to have pets and not get charged more, I would look into buying your own house.
I live in an apartment and I only got charged a pet deposit - $250 total. Supposedly I will get $150 of that back when I move out.





I am not sure what the best thing to do in this situation would be - if the lease happens to state how much $$ your rent is, then he is not able to charge you different from what is stated on the lease. He should have to stick to the rate that is on the lease. You can always contact your city's tenant's association for advice - that is what I did when I had problems with my apartment complex.
I paid $300 deposit for 2 small dogs. No additional money per month. There is no way he can raise your rent up $100 a month if you have already signed a lease. If you have paid a pet deposit already, that should be whether you have 1 or 2 cats. It shouldn't matter now that you are already in a lease with the landlord. I would not pay any additional money per month. if he doesn't like it tell him if he is changing the lease terms, than you do not have to continue to stay in the lease with him. then move.
Keep looking, there are places that will not charge, or some that charge way less. Go on th the humane society website in your area, they give a listing of pet friendly apts. Thats what I did
If you have a lease, I am fairly certain he cannot just raise the rent. You need to scrutinize what you signed, really look closely. Where I live, that sum is unconscionable for a cat.
I do not pay rent for my pets. Actually I am over the stated pet limit in my lease. I'm only allowed 2, but have three. They don't seem to mind. I have paid rent for them before- $25/mo per pet. I think that is stupid and moved to avoid the charge.





If I were you, I would go to the landlord and tell him that you will comply with the original agreement and pay him a $300 pet deposit. If he will not conceed, then tell him you will see him in court.
I had to pay a 300 dollor deposit 150 refundable and 150 non refundable and $25 a month per pet for pet rent in an apartment from what I have seen 300 dollor is a standard pet deposit but I think an extra 100 dollors a month is rediculous and I would ask a lawyer if that is right.
Most renters pay the inital deposit and no monthly charge. HOwever, I've seen apartments that charge $25-$50 per month per animal in addition to the monthly rent. Did he mean $100 for three months to cover the deposit?
i would ask a lawyer about this. if there is nothing in your lease about pets at all, and you have a year lease, i don't think he can just change things. but read your lease, front to back, just to be sure. and my parents have townhouse rentals, they always charged a deposit of $200, to cover defleaing, and any damages. and i've seen plenty of apartments that charge a small monthly fee for pets, along with an initial deposit. but, this is all in the original lease for these rentals. so, again, i don't think he can just change things in the middle. at the end of your year, he can do what he wants, though, so keep that in mind. and good luck.
If there is nothing in the lease and you did not get the $300 deposit in writing, then he does have the right to do this as long as he specifies in a new contract that the extra $100 is a pet fee. However, that is an unreasonable amount. Although 95% of landlords will ask for either a deposit or small monthly fee (usually $50 at most), there are some who won't charge anything. You may want to start looking for another apartment.





The only exception is if you live in a state where a verbal contract is binding. You could use that against him, especially if you had a witness.





There are landlords (like mine) who won't charge for pets. Again, think about finding a new apartment and subleasing yours so you can afford to have your kitty.
I am an apartment manager and I charge $100 per pet with a limit of 3 pets per apartment. I also have the right to charge $10 extra on rent per month if I chose to do so. You need to look at your lease and see if there is a clause in your lease about pets. He cannot charge you for something that is not in the lease unless it clearly states that he reserves the right too. If you break your lease and move somewhere else it could hurt your credit and even lead to court proceedings. Check your lease and see what your rights are where you live.
  • Skin tag or something more serious
  • scene hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment