Monday, August 16, 2010

I need to rent my house out, where do I start?

I need to rent my house out, we are unable to sell and have to move out of state in 2 months for work. How and where do I start? Where do I get a lease? Can we amend the lease to fit the situation? How do I run a background check? How do I run credit? How do I know I get a good tenant? Help!!!! We want to do this ourselves, not with a management company...are we crazy??I need to rent my house out, where do I start?
You might want to lower the price several thousand on the house and get it sold because you will find that tenants do not care if it sells or not once in the house. Then if you take it off the market and issue a years lease you can expect to spend several thousand to get it back in shape to try and sell again.





Go with a Real Estate Agency that handles rentals or yes you would be a little crazy. Being a tenant long distance is not a great place to be.





May we assume you have tried to sell without benefit of an agent because if you have get yourself a good agent, cut the price by thousands and getit sold.I need to rent my house out, where do I start?
First, find the average rental rate for the home of your size. Some suggestions;





http://rentbits.com/rb/t/rental-rates/


http://www.rentometer.com/





Also, you need to market the property to as many sites as possible:





Try http://www.rentmarketer.com to post your rental to over 100 different sites.

Report Abuse



Best way is hire a realtor to find a tenant. They do the background check and the lease. The tenant pays the realtor and you have no problems. Do not even try it yourself since you will not be living nearby. You need someone local to handle tenant issues and home repairs. Ask a friend or relative to manage the rental for a small fee. Include that in the rental price. you have no idea what tenants complain about. Leaking faucets, stuffed up toilets, lawn maintenance,


garbage removal. Getting these calls at night will drive you insane


We use a local plumber. he gets 100 a month to be on call and bills us for extra services.
If you are looking to advertise your house rental online, check out RentShout.com. The service posts your house rental to over 60+ rental directories, social networks and video portals. You get other tools too such as a downloadable rental application and printable flyers you can use to place on bulletin boards or flyer boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment